The Arabic Language Practice Group (LPG) was established in April of 2011. Teacher representatives met with Dr. Rebecca Sapien-Melchor, SAILN site director and the LPG lead facilitator, Noha Ireiqat, Language Acquisition Resource Center (LARC)/ San Diego State University (SDSU), Arabic Instructor. A SWOT (Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats) needs assessment was conducted for Arabic teachers working with heritage/native speakers of Arabic, Grades K-12.
Professional development needs unique to this language practice group are:
- California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) Preparation: Arabic language
- The use of technology (Technology for the 21st Century Skills)
- Leadership responsibilities and duties
- Creating Lesson plans for grades K-12
To address these needs:
- SAILN and LARC/SDSU were the proud sponsors of the Arabic CSET Preparation workshop provided on June 5, 2011. SAILN was also the sponsor of the Technology workshop provided on February 19, 2012. The featured speaker for the two workshops was Noha Ireiqat, the Director of the Arabic Language Program at San Diego Unified School District and a Tier Leader with SAILN.
- The SAILN project offered sponsorship for the LPG teachers to attend the California Subject Matter Project (CSMP) English Language Development (ELD) Institute technology strand on March 3, 2012.
- A Leadership workshop is scheduled for June 2012 and in August 2012 the Arabic LPG will meet to share thematic units created by Arabic SAILN Fellows.
- LPG teachers will meet to design a future workshop that will address community activities to support student cultural identity; additional afterschool and Saturday workshops will be scheduled.