The Heritage/Native Spanish Speaker Language Practice Group (LPG) was established in December of 2011. Teacher representatives met with Dr. Rebecca Sapien-Melchor, SAILN site director, LPG lead facilitator, Edith Acevedo de Varela, Spanish teacher at San Diego Unified School District, Mira Mesa High School and Spanish teacher. A SWOT (Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats) needs assessment was conducted for Spanish teachers working with heritage/native speakers of Spanish, Grades 7-14.
Professional development needs unique to this language practice group are:
- How to teach grammar to native Spanish speakers and other related topics
- The use of technology (Technology for the 21st Century Skills)
- How to support student cultural identity
To address these needs:
- The SAILN Heritage/Native Spanish Speaker, LPG was the proud sponsor of the, Cómo enseñar la gramática a través de contextos reales workshop provided on March 22, 2012. The featured speaker for the workshop was Deanna Alonso, author of “Entre mundos”, 2nd Ed. An Integrated Approach for the Native Speaker. Prentice Hall, 1996, 2003 and Invitaciones. An Interactive Worktext for Beginning Spanish, Vista Higher Learning, 2004.
- The SAILN project offered sponsorship for the LPG teachers to attend the CSMP ELD Institute technology strand on March 3, 2012.
- LPG teachers will meet in September 2012 to design a future workshop that will address community activities to support student cultural identity; additional afterschool and Saturday workshops will be scheduled.